A healthy twist on the traditional risotto, using the ancient grain quinoa for a protein boost, and grated beetroot, known for its detoxifying effects on the body.
Serves: 2 | Cook Time: 30 mins | Calories: 511 | Type: Vegan + Gluten-Free
- 80g quinoa
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 200g beetroot
- 300g parsnip
- 100g mangetout
- 1/2 vegetable stock cube (celery)
- 30g creamed coconut (sulphites)
- 10g pumpkin seeds
- Fresh dill
Already in your kitchen
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Coconut oil / olive oil
At Mindful Chef we source, pre-portion, and then deliver all these good-for-you ingredients together with a recipe card to save yourself time shopping. You'll also receive fresh organic produce for lots of other healthy dinners.
- Preheat the oven to 200C / gas mark 6.
- Boil a kettle and dissolve the stock cube in a jug of 300ml water. In a bowl, dissolve the creamed coconut in 20ml boiling water to form a sauce.
- Finely chop or crush the garlic clove. Dice the onion and peel and grate the beetroot. Peel and very finely slice the parsnips.
- Heat a medium-sized pan with 1 tbsp oil on a medium heat. Fry the garlic and onion for 5 mins, then add the grated beetroot for 3 mins. Rinse the quinoa and add to the pan, stir frequently for 2 mins.
- Meanwhile, place the parsnips on a baking tray and drizzle over 1/2 tbsp oil, place in the oven for 15 mins until crisp.
- Then pour in the vegetable stock, stir and leave to simmer for 10 mins, then add the mangetout and cook for a further 5-10 mins until the quinoa is cooked and the mangetout is tender. Add more boiling water if needed. Once cooked, stir through half of the dill.
- Spoon the beetroot quinoa risotto onto two warm plates, drizzle over the creamed coconut, sprinkle over the pumpkin seeds and parsnip crisps and the remaining dill. Season with black pepper.