At Mindful Chef we didn't want anyone to miss out on this Mexican dish so we created our very own plant-based version with black beans instead of meat and refried beans. Try our delicious version of this classic meal below. Tell me more about Mindful Chef.
Serves: 2 | Cook Time: 25mins | Calories: 442 | Type: Gluten-Free
Ingredients: The good-for-you ingredients required to make this healthy meal
- 80g brown rice
- 240g black beans
- 1 red pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 green chilli
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 lime
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 avocado
- Handful of coriander
Already in your kitchen
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Coconut oil / olive oil
At Mindful Chef we source, pre-portion, and then deliver all these ingredients and a recipe card to save yourself time shopping. You'll also receive fresh organic produce to lots of other healthy dinners.
Method:A guide to cook this vegetarian burrito bowl in less than 30 minutes
- Boil a kettle. Rinse the brown rice and add to a pan of 200ml boiling water with a pinch of sea salt and simmer for 20-25 mins until cooked.
- Meanwhile, finely chop or crush the garlic clove and finely dice the red onion and the tomato. Finely chop the green chilli and dice the red pepper.
- To make the tomato salsa; add the garlic, onion, tomato and chilli to a bowl with the juice from the lime, a sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper and 1 tsp olive oil. Mix well and set aside.
- Drain the black beans and rinse in cold water. In a large pan, heat 1 tsp of oil on a medium heat and add the black beans and red pepper, cook on a low heat for 15 mins and season.
- Once the rice is cooked, drain and add to the black beans & red pepper, mix well. Then remove from the heat.
- Peel and de-stone the avocado, spoon into a bowl and roughly crush with the back of a fork.
- To serve, place the black bean and red pepper rice in a bowl, and top with the tomato salsa and the avocado. Garnish with the coriander leaves.
Want to try our tasty veggie burrito bowl and two other quick, easy, plant-based recipes next week? Simply click here to try your first Mindful Chef box with 25% off using the code MCBLOG at the checkout!