Serves: 2 | Type: Breakfast
Here at Mindful Chef we are firm believers in good food. By good food we don't just mean great tasting, but food that is ethically and environmentally sourced and nutrient-dense. As part of this we love to include plant-based meals as part of our diet, provided that the ingredients are organic or ethically sourced and complementing our nutritional needs. Hence why we have teamed up with Solla Eiríksdóttir to offer you a selection of breakfast recipes from her new cookbook Raw that make the most of natural, plant-based ingredients and superfoods to kick start your day.
- 1 cup (8 fl oz/250 ml) almond milk
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 cup (3 1/2 oz/100g) rolled millet flakes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 banana, thinly sliced, for topping
For the raspberry compote:
- 1 pear, peeled, cored, and chopped into small pieces or grated
- 1 cup (4 1/2 oz/130 g) raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon shredded fresh ginger root
If you don't have much time in the mornings, then this method of making porridge (oatmeal)is great. It is easy to make the night before and can also be made several days ahead. Just be careful to store the compote and oatmeal in separate containers and assemble it the same day as serving.
- Put the almond milk and chia seeds into a clean glass jar, put the lid on, and shake for 2-3 minutes, or until combined. Stir int he millet flakes, vanilla, cinnamon, lemon juice, and salt, then put the lid back on and set aside to rest for 15-30 minutes, or overnight.
- For the compote, put the pear, raspberries, and ginger into a medium bowl and mash with a fork until it is the consistency you like. We like it slightly chunky. Alternatively, place the ingredients into a food processor and process using the pulse button.
- When ready to serve, pour half the raspberry compote into a bowl or a glass jar, add the chia porridge (oatmeal), and top with a layer of thinly sliced banana. Spoon the remaining raspberry compote on top and eat.
Book credit: Raw: Recipes for a Modern Vegetarian Lifestyle by Solla Eiriksdottir is published by Phaidon
Image credit: Eric Bajada