Our light and healthy take on spring rolls, with Chinese five spice sautéed tofu, carrot, red pepper and brown rice wrapped up in crisp gem lettuce with a creamy peanut and lime sauce.
Serves: 2 | Cook Time: 30 mins | Calories: 501 | Type: Vegan + Gluten-Free | Macros P: 23g / C: 59g / F: 21g
- 300g firm tofu (soya)
- 80g brown rice
- 4cm ginger
- 1 gem lettuce
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 150g carrot
- 1 red pepper
- 2 tbsp peanut paste (nuts)
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp tamari (soya)
Already in your kitchen
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Coconut oil / olive oil
At Mindful Chef we source, pre-portion, and then deliver all these good-for-you ingredients together with a recipe card to save yourself time shopping. You'll also receive fresh organic produce for lots of other healthy dinners.
- Boil a kettle. Rinse the brown rice and place in a saucepan with 400ml boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Simmer for 25 mins, until cooked.
- Peel and finely chop the ginger. Very finely slice the red pepper, peel and cut the carrot into matchsticks. Drain and rinse the tofu, pat dry with paper towel and cut into 1cm cubes.
- Heat a large frying pan with 1/2 tbsp oil on a medium heat and fry the ginger for 2 mins, then add the tofu for 5 mins, then add half of the tamari and cook for a further 5 mins. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- To the same frying pan, add 1/2 tbsp oil on a medium heat and fry the carrot and red pepper for 3-4 mins until softened. Add the tofu to this pan and sprinkle over the Chinese five spice and remaining tamari, stir and cook for 2 mins.
- To make a dip, in a small bowl mix the peanut paste with 1-2 tbsp water, half of the juice from the lime and a pinch of sea salt.
- Slice the end off the gem lettuce and separate the leaves. Drain the brown rice.
- To assemble the wraps; add a spoonful of the rice, followed by the red pepper, carrot and tofu into each baby gem leaf. Squeeze over the remaining lime juice and serve alongside the peanut dipping sauce.