Cold winter weather coupled with central heating can take its toll on your skin, leaving you dry and flaky. Find out how to combat this and achieve a healthy glow with a simple Abhyanga practice, an Ayurvedic method of detoxifying the body through a luxurious, oil self-massage.
Abhyanga is a rejuvenating, soothing ritual, that carried out once a week will bring many health benefits. It improves blood circulation and stimulates your lymphatic system, which in turn improves sleep, muscle tone and skin health.
You will need
- 20-25ml of Abhyanga oil
- Designated “Abhyanga towel” or an old towel you don’t mind getting oily
- Small ceramic or glass bowl for warming the oil
1) Set up your space. Throw your towel over the bed and ensure the room is warm, to keep you comfortable and relaxed for the 20 minute duration.
2) Warm the oil. Simply pour boiling water in the bowl and let it sit for a few minutes. Tip out the hot water and immediately fill the hot bowl with enough oil to cover your body generously, approx. 20-25 ml should do it.
3) Apply Generously. Apply the oil liberally to the entire body, excluding the head. Use long, loving strokes and circle the joints a few extra times. Tip: It’s nice to start with arms and legs and end at your middle section, but the method isn’t important.
4) Relaxing time. Now just rest (or wrap up in) your designated Abhyanga towel, for a minimum of 15-20 minutes, while the warm oil absorbs into your skin. This is a perfect time to do a short meditation or breathing practices.
5) Wash off. After 20 minutes most of the oil should have been absorbed. Take a hot shower or bath to relax further and wash away the oil. You needn’t use soap as the oil will remove all dirt and bacteria.
For more information on Amaveda’s Ayurvedic inspired Amazon sourced detox and longevity products and programmes, visit www.ama-veda.com
Did you know.. Ayurveda originated in India thousands of years ago and is one of the world’s oldest holistic healing systems. It is based on the belief that health and wellness are a delicate balance of mind, body and spirit.
Be sure to check out our social channels @MindfulChefUK for daily advent giveaways this December. Including Amaveda’s Abhyanga oil, lightly scented with sustainably-harvested Amazonian rosewood, passion fruit seed oil and gardenia.