In the UK we are wasting millions of tonnes of food every year. The average household wastes £60 a month on food, totalling £600 annually. There are lots of processes that go into taking the food from the farm, delivering to the supermarket shelves and then to your plates.
At Mindful Chef, we reduce the number of processes and deliver food straight from plough to plate and in turn reduce the impact our shopping habits have on the environment.
As a nation we waste a lot of food and it's clear that not only are we wasting food in our homes but also on a much larger scale. Supermarkets and farms are throwing away a lot of food simply because the produce doesn’t live up to the standards consumers expect. At Mindful Chef we are able to order exact quantities from our suppliers directly and this ensures there is no waste. This is better for the environment and better for the farmers as they only send the vegetables we need and we never refuse "ugly veg."
Our customers understand there is no perfect vegetable and vegetables come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. We love wonky veg and think it’s the quality and nutrition that counts, not how it looks.
Here are our top 5 tips to reduce your waste:
1. Freeze – fruits or vegetables that are about to go off can be frozen to give them a new lease of life. You can then use them in smoothies.
2. Vegetables on the turn – we all have a bit old veg at the back of the fridge that looks as though it’s about to go off. Don’t throw this away, simply put in a pan with some stock, onion and root veg and you have yourself a nutritious, great tasting soup. This can be eaten as a snack, lunch or dinner.
3. Softening avocados – are a perfect opportunity to make guacamole. We love avocados at Mindful Chef and like to include them wherever possible. Here is our simple and easy recipe for guacamole:
- peel and de-stone the avocado
- scoop the flesh into a bowl
- roughly chop rocket and add to the bowl
- slice 1/2 a lime and squeeze on top. Season with salt
- use a fork to mix all of the ingredients together and you’re ready to go. Enjoy!
4. Berries – there is nothing wrong with soft fruit or berries. Try this great life hack. Simply mash together with yoghurt and put in the freezer. You now have a healthy, chilled treat.
5. Reduce, reuse, recycle. Reduce wastage and only buy what you really need. Reuse bags for shopping or better yet have your shopping delivered. Recycle as much as possible.
We all need to be a little bit more mindful of our actions. Take simple steps like the 5 outlined above or simply plan ahead. At Mindful Chef we believe that we can help you reduce your food waste.
Everything that goes into our box can be used in the meals or recycled.
Remember the 3 R’s – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle