This week in the Mindful Chef kitchen we have been baking up some delicious cookies packed with health-boosting superfoods. Not only do these cookies taste amazing but they are also gluten-free and dairy-free and are really easy to make!
We added Matcha to these cookies to give them a super dose of antioxidants and a lovely rich flavour. Matcha is a Japanese green tea which uses the whole green tea leaf ground into a fine powder, and contains much higher level of antioxidants than other green teas. We combined Matcha with creamy cashew nut butter, a great source of protein, minerals and vitamin C.
Here’s the recipe that makes 10-12 cookies:
- 270g crunchy cashew nut butter (we use Meridian as it’s made of 100% roasted nuts with no added oil)
- 100g coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 organic egg
- 1 tbsp matcha powder (we use Clearspring organic matcha tea powder)
- 40g cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Place the cashew butter, coconut palm sugar and bicarbonate of soda together in a bowl and mix together until all ingredients are combined, then beat in the egg to form a dough. Add the matcha powder and stir well. Then stir in the chopped cashew nuts.
- Form the cookie dough into 10-12 balls and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Flatten the balls with your palm to form a cookie shape (they will expand a bit when cooking).
- Place in the oven for 8-10 mins until lightly golden brown. Leave to cool for a few minutes, place on a wire rack to cool and enjoy!