Mexican veggie breakfast
Start your day with our fiery Mexican breakfast, packed with fibre-rich black beans, spiced with smoky paprika and chilli flakes.
We've stirred through wilted spinach and topped with creamy sliced avocado, fresh tomato salsa and a soft poached egg. This nourishing breakfast is full of good fats, iron and protein - the perfect start to your day.
- 2 spring onion
- 120g ripe plum tomatoes
- Handful of fresh coriander
- Juice of 1 lime
- Coconut oil
- 240g drained black beans
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 80g spinach
- 2 eggs
- 1 avocado
- Sea salt and black pepper
- To make the tomato salsa, finely slice the spring onions, dice the tomatoes and roughly chop the coriander, then place in a bowl with half the lime juice.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a frying pan on a low-medium heat. Add the drained black beans, smoked paprika and chilli flakes, season with sea salt and black pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook for a further 2 minutes, until wilted. Stir in the remaining lime juice.
- Meanwhile bring the saucepan of water to a gentle simmer. Create a gentle whirlpool in the pan with a spoon, then carefully break the eggs into the middle, one at a time. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until the white is cooked, them remove from the pan.
- Peel and de-stone the avocado and thinly slice.
- Place the spicy black beans on warm plates, layer over the avocado slices, spoon over the fresh tomato salsa and top with the poached eggs.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper and serve.
This recipe is taken from our debut cookbook Mindful Chef: Eat Well, Live Better. Watch Myles and Giles cooking up this Mexican veggie treat for the Happy Foodie.