Nachos may have originated in Mexico but they are now a household favourite across the world. We love this plant-based dish because it allows us to be really creative with the ingredients while cooking a fun meal that can be shared with others.
At Mindful Chef we wanted everyone to try this delicious dish so we created our very own plant-based version which substitutes meat but still packs a punch when it comes to taste. Tell me more about Mindful Chef.
Serves: 2 | Cook Time: 25mins | Calories: 646 | Type: Vegan
Ingredients: The good-for-you ingredients required to make this healthy meal
- 200g red kidney beans (drained)
- 1 red onion
- 2 aubergines
- 140g courgette
- 2 garlic cloves
- 300g chopped tomatoes
- 300g sweet potato
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 160g cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- 20g creamed coconut
Already in your kitchen
At Mindful Chef we source, pre-portion, and then deliver all these ingredients and a recipe card to save yourself time shopping. You'll also receive fresh organic produce to lots of other healthy dinners.
Method:A guide to cook our vegan Mexican nachos in less than 30 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Finely dice the onion and courgette and finely chop the garlic.
- Peel and thinly slice the sweet potato. Toss with 1 tsp oil and season with sea salt. Place the slices of sweet potato on a baking sheet in the oven for 15-20 mins, turning halfway through.
- Heat a medium-sized pan with 1 tsp oil and fry the garlic and onion for 3 mins, then add the courgette and fry for a further 5 mins.
- Drain the kidney beans. Then add the beans, chopped tomatoes and chilli powder to the pan with the vegetables and simmer for 10 mins until the sauce has thickened. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Meanwhile, boil a kettle. Peel and de-stone the avocado and place in a bowl with half of the juice from the lime and season. Roughly mash the avocado with the back of a fork.
- To make the coconut sauce, mix 30ml boiling water with the creamed coconut.
- To serve, spoon the chilli onto a warm plate. Place the sweet potato nachos alongside and spoon over the crushed avocado, then drizzle over the coconut sauce and the remaining lime juice. Enjoy!
Want to try our tasty veggie nachos and 2 other quick, delicious, plant-based recipes next week? Just click here to try your first Mindful Chef box with 25% off using the code VEGMAIL at the checkout!