Serves: 2 | Type: Breakfast
Here at Mindful Chef we are firm believers in good food. By good food we don't just mean great tasting, but food that is ethically and environmentally sourced and nutrient-dense. As part of this we love to include plant-based meals as part of our diet, provided that the ingredients are organic or ethically sourced and complementing our nutritional needs. Hence why we have teamed up with Solla Eiríksdóttir to offer you a selection of breakfast recipes from her new cookbook Raw that make the most of natural, plant-based ingredients and superfoods to kick start your day.
- 1/2 cup (2 3/4 oz/75g) almonds
- 1 1/2 cups (8 oz/225 g) frozen blueberries
- 1/2-1 banana, cut into chunks
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon raw chia seeds
- 1 handful of spinach
- 1 tablespoon of flaxseed oil
- 2 capsules of probiotic or acidophilus supplements (optional)
- Soak the almonds in a bowl of cold water for 8 hours, or overnight
- The next day, drain the almonds and pat them dry on paper towels. Discard the water. Put the almonds and 1 1/2 cups (12 fl oz/350 ml) water into a blender and blend until you have your delicious almond milk.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- If you are using probiotics, then add at the end and blend briefly on slow speed to make sure they are mixed in.
- You can pour the morning boost just as it comes into glasses for children and then add 1 teaspoon of the energy mix to the blend for grown-ups.
Book credit: Raw: Recipes for a Modern Vegetarian Lifestyle by Solla Eiriksdottir is published by Phaidon
Image credit: Eric Bajada