Here at Mindful Chef we never include refined carbs in our recipes and so don't use white rice, pasta or bread. But sometimes we all need a bread fix. Next time you're reaching for that crusty white loaf, why not try making your own bread from scratch instead. We love this delicious recipe from Qnola, which is gluten-free and packed with nutritious ingredients.
- 350ml water
- 150g pumpkin seeds (plus extra if you want whole seeds in the bread)
- 100g quinoa flakes (can also use oats or buckwheat flakes)
- 150g almonds
- 140g sunflower seeds
- 140g golden linseeds
- 3 tbsp psyullium husk powder
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 4 tbsp of dried mixed herbs (such as basil, mixed herbs, oregano)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp black onion seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 - 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- Pinch of black pepper
1) Preheat the oven to 180C.
2) Measure out the almonds, quinoa flakes and pumpkin seeds and place them in a blender or food processor.
3) Blitz on a high speed until the mix resembles a floury consistency then transfer to a large mixing bowl.
4) Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly until everything is fully combined.
5) Gradually pour in the water, stirring constantly. Knead the dough until it isn’t too wet that it sticks to your hands.
6) Grease a loaf tin with coconut oil and push the mixture down firmly with the back of a large spoon and cook for 45 -55 minutes, until the top begins to brown.
7) Skewer the middle and if it comes out clean, remove from the oven and leave to cool.
8) Once it is cool enough to handle, transfer onto a cooling rack.
9) Slice immediately for some fresh, warm bread, or leave to cool before slicing and storing. The bread is wonderful eaten straight from the oven, with coconut or olive oil instead of butter.