Juicy chicken & yellow kebabs with a sweet & sour tamarind marinade and sautéed bok choy, served with red rice. Red rice is a mineral-packed alternative to starchy white rice, with plenty of manganese to help reduce blood pressure.
Serves: 2 | Cook Time: 30 mins | Calories: 491 | Type: Gluten-Free | Macros P: 49g / C: 50g / F: 12g
- 2 x 180g free-range chicken breast
- 80g red rice
- 1 yellow pepper
- 2 baby bok choy
- 2 tsp tamarind paste
- 4 tsp honey
- 2 tbsp tamari (soya)
- 2 tsp white sesame seeds (sesame)
- 4 skewers
Already in your kitchen
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Coconut oil / olive oil
At Mindful Chef we source, pre-portion, and then deliver all these good-for-you ingredients together with a recipe card to save yourself time shopping. You'll also receive fresh organic produce for lots of other healthy dinners.
- Boil a kettle. Rinse the red rice and place in a pan of 400ml boiling water with a pinch of sea salt, simmer for 25-30 mins until cooked, then drain.
- Meanwhile, cut the yellow pepper into small bite-sized pieces and cut the end off the bok choy to separate the leaves. Cut the chicken breast into small bite-sized pieces.
- Mix the tamarind paste, tamari, honey and 1 tbsp oil together in a small bowl, then place half of this sauce into another bowl. In one of these bowls, add the chicken and stir to coat in the sauce. In the other bowl add the bok choy leaves.
- Thread the chicken and yellow pepper alternately onto each of the 4 skewers, making sure the pieces aren't too close together.
- Heat a griddle pan (or BBQ) on a medium-high heat. Place the chicken and pepper kebabs in the preheated pan for 15-20 mins, turning every 3-4 mins until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Heat the same pan and add the bok choy in its sauce and cook for 3 mins.
- Serve the red rice on a warm plate, then a layer of the bok choy and top with the tamarind chicken & yellow pepper kebabs. Sprinkle over the sesame seeds.