Serves 16 | Gluten-free | Dairy free | Vegan
Chef Louisa has taken the classic Christmas treat and given them a Mindful twist, inspired by Amelia Freer. Enjoy our recipe for Gluten-free, dairy free, vegan mince pies!
For the mince meat
- 400g dried mixed fruit
- 75g dried cranberries
- Juice from 4 clementines
- Juice and grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 apple, grated
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
For the pastry
- 300g gluten-free plain flour
- 200g coconut oil (at room temperature, rather than liquid)
- 50g ground almonds
- 150ml cold water
- To make the mincemeat, place all the ingredients into a saucepan and simmer on a low-medium heat for 20 mins until the mix is sticky and there is no liquid left. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180C / gas mark 4. Place all pastry ingredients into a food processor, breaking up the coconut oil into small pieces before you add in and then pulse all until it begins to stick together and form a dough.
- Remove from the food processor and form into a big ball of dough. If you have time, place in the fridge for 20-30 mins before rolling.
- Place on a clean work surface and sprinkle over a little flour. Using a rolling pin, roll into 1/2 cm thick, and using a cutter (you can use the top of a glass or ramekin which is a similar size if you don’t have a cutter) make 16 rounds.
- Leave some leftover pastry to form the tops of the mince pies – you’re choice, you could do Merry Christmas like us!
- Lightly oil a 12 hole cake tin. Place the pastry rounds into the baking tin, gently push in. Spoon in 2 tsp of mince into each round, and top with the pastry decorations. Place in the oven for 20 mins until turning golden.