Serves: 2 | Type: Breakfast
Here at Mindful Chef we are firm believers in good food. By good food we don't just mean great tasting, but food that is ethically and environmentally sourced and nutrient-dense. As part of this we love to include plant-based meals as part of our diet, provided that the ingredients are organic or ethically sourced and complementing our nutritional needs. Hence why we have teamed up with Solla Eiríksdóttir to offer you a selection of breakfast recipes from her new cookbook Raw that make the most of natural, plant-based ingredients and superfoods to kick start your day.
- 1/4 cup (1 oz/30 g) hemp seeds
- 1 cup (5 oz/150 g) frozen mango chunks
- 1/2 banana
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons shredded ginger root
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon turmeric (use either ground fresh root or powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom powder
Hemp seed milk is a quick milk to make. Unlike almond milk, which requires the nuts to be soaked, you don't have to soak the seeds. Use 1 part hemp seeds to 3-4 parts water.
- Put the hemp seeds and 3/4 cup (6 fl oz/175 ml) water into a blender and blend until you have your hemp seed milk.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into glasses and serve.
Book credit: Raw: Recipes for a Modern Vegetarian Lifestyle by Solla Eiriksdottir is published by Phaidon
Image credit: Eric Bajada