2016 has been dubbed by many as being the year of #breakfastgreens. If you look at most health conscious instagrammers you will see their pages full of great tasting, healthy, green plates of food for breakfast. There is nothing revolutionary about having greens for breakfast but something that is gaining momentum as more and more people recognise the benefits of incorporating greens into their morning ritual. Not only are there numerous health advantages of eating greens first thing but it also prepares you for the day mentally. Filling your body and mind with healthy food that you know will help improve your mood and as a result your productivity too. For more information on how swapping your normal cereal grains for a balance of healthy, unprocessed, natural food click here.
Here are 5 reasons why eating leafy green vegetables will help you feel great and lose weight.
- Leafy green vegetables are packed full of vitamins and fibre. Fibre is important for weight loss and keeping your digestive system functioning at an optimal level. Fibre can help control blood sugar levels and lower cholesterol.
- Leafy greens are full of antioxidants like Vitamin C which helps to form collagen. Collagen helps reduce the onset of arthritis and can help keep your eyes, skin and hair looking healthy.
- Leafy greens also contain beta-carotene which helps the growth and repair of the body’s tissue. Beta-carotene is a precursor of vitamin A. Not only can vitamin A protect us against the sun it also helps the growth of muscle tissue, our immune system and help to maintain good eye health.
- Kale and broccoli are nutritional powerhouses. So much so we have written a whole post on the health benefits of broccoli. The cartanoids and flavanoids found in both are types of antioxidants that have been associated with anti-cancer health benefits. Broccoli is also a great source of vitamins A, C, K and B6.
- Due to their high fibre, low carbohydrate content leafy greens are one of the most filling foods you can eat. The high fibre content means they take longer to digest which will leave you feeling fuller for longer.This will help if weight loss is your goal as you won’t eat as much of other foods. If weight loss isn’t your goal you should still include lots of greens in your diet for the numerous health benefits that are explained above.
Here are a few of our favourite breakfast greens you can start incorporating into your weekly regime.
Green salad with arugula and berries
Green kale, spinach and banana smoothie
Spinach, tomato and mushroom omelette
If you like this article why not take a look at our dinners this week for inspiration on making every meal healthy and delicious.